Everyday drinking claret mixed case offer

19 Oct 2018

And on tasting from noon today in the Bishopsgate shop

People often forget how much great value wine there is to be had in Bordeaux and it's easy to do so when the prices of your favourite chateaux keep increasing. There is however an increasing number of vignerons who are aware of this problem and are offering great value, approachable Bordeaux often in less sought-after satellite appellations. Here is a mixed case filled with fantastic yet accessible claret that will show that there is still great wine to be had at good prices from a range of different appellations.

We'll have four of these wines on tasting today, and next week the Biac range will be presented by Yasmina Asseily from the chateau.


2014 Chateau d`Argadens (Bordeaux Superieur Rouge): Since this property was bought by the Sichel family in 2002 (who also own chateaux Angludet and Palmer), the vineyards and winery have undergone extensive renovation. The blend is made up of 63% Merlot, 32% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Cabernet Franc. Spending 12 months in barrel the wines have great concentration with a smooth supple finish.
2014 Chateau Goubau (Cotes de Castillon): Recently acquired by Jacques Thienpont who also owns the much sought-after Chateaux Le Pin and L'If, this property produces incredibly well made and affordable wines that offer great fruit, freshness and good structure. 95% Merlot and 5% Cabernet Franc.
2014 Chateau Gaudin (Pauillac): Family owned for three generations, this 11-hectare property is surrounded by classified growths and produces wines with great concentration and firm tannins. As you would expect from Pauillac, Cabernet Sauvignon makes up most of the blend at 85% and Merlot for the remaining 15%.
2014 Chateau Beau-Site (St-Estephe): A brilliant cru bourgeois property that is neighbour to the famous Calon-Segur and produces ripe, perfumed and structured reds with Cabernet Sauvignon taking the lead at 60% and Merlot making up the remaining 40%.
2012 Chateau B de Biac (Cadillac Cotes de Bordeaux): Situated on a steep south-facing slope overlooking the Garonne this property produces some of the best wines from Bordeaux's satellite appellations that are rich, opulent and beautifully smooth. The blend changes depending on the vintage but for the 2012 they used 53% Merlot and 47% Cabernet Sauvignon.
2012 Chateau Laroque (St-Emilion): Laroque is the largest estate in St-Emilion and was classified Grand Cru Classé in 1996. Situated on an expansive plateau of limestone and clay, predominately Merlot with some Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon, the wines are fruit-driven, rich and smooth. /JW

Offered subject to remaining unsold